Archive

July 04, 2012

Whisper of the Heart

It has been awhile since I've made a post or even watch anime for that matter. In the last year and a half I have been pursuing a new career path so I didn't have much time to post anything. Since I've graduated and started looking for work, I have lost focus in the mist of unemployment. With a bit of time on my hand, I cleaned up some older stuff and cam across an older anime that my brother recommended to me a long time ago. This was Whisper of the Heart.
Whisper of the Heart is an older by Studio Ghibli. It's a wonderful and inspirational story about two people one of which is Shizuku Tsukishima (our protagonist) who felt alone at times and that no one in the world understand her as she grows up. She met a head strong confident boy by the name of Amasawa Seiji who wanted to become a violin maker. This a type of story I find hard to come by these days - simple romance, some drama but the pure innocence yet very hopeful.
What I enjoyed about this film was that it is based on the famous John Denver’s song Country Road, which I absolutely adore and they have translated into Japanese. Those who aren’t familiar with John Denver should really check out his songs ‘cuz they’re great. My favourites performed by JD includes Today and Leaving on A Jet Plane. A side note, John Denver performed in Japan in 1981. Beside the music, another aspect that I really liked was the portrayal of society in particularly in Asia where parents often would shape the paths of their children. Instead of exploring and choosing their own path, many children would accept the way that have been provided for them. Most parents want their children to study hard and get a good job earn a good living to provide for their own future family. Parents just want the best for us which is clearly shown in Whisper of the Heart as well. However, all of this has deterred the children to dream and pursue them.
The reality is that not many of us pursue our dreams because of the many things that we have experienced and encountered. Does it have to be this way? No, it doesn't. Both young characters found their dreams and would achieve them through their chosen paths. That being said, they understand what is ahead of them - the great challenges, the hardship but they have the support of each other and have a sense of direction.
So if you have a dream and truly wanted it, the message of Whisper of the Heart is prepare for the worst and don't give up. If you fail, you know you did your best and you won't regret it. You will meet others who can relate to you and inspire you with their passion. You will know because their passion will whisper to your heart. If you lack a bit of motivation lately, I highly recommend to watch this. You should watch it even though you don't lack motivation because it's really a nice story. I wish everyone a happy viewing and that you can find your own path to your dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment