Archive

April 21, 2013

Pumpkin Scissors


It seems like the older I get the less time I have to watch and review anime. Even though time has been limited on the anime side of things, I still enjoy using what free moments I do have to share my experiences with other anime fans.

The most recent show I've been working on (an almost finished with) is Pumpkin Scissors. I find that I am becoming more selective when choosing a new anime to watch with each passing series I complete.

Pumpkin Scissors is a military genre series based in a post-war fictitious county. There is great corruption and widespread poverty among the population. The military has historically been seen as a governing force that the people do not oppose. Following the decline of the Great War, the military has refocused its efforts on war relief. Section 3, code named Pumpkin Scissors, is made up of young recruits, and led by a young woman who is descended of the 13 noble families. Lieutenant Melvin (the noble leader), meets an old soldier with a mysterious past, Corporal Oland. After Corporal Oland joins section 3, the team begins encountering a number of battles that seem to uncover parts of his past.

There are a number of twists and turns throughout the plot in this series. At times, there were episodes where the lulls in the story almost had me drop the whole series. Looking back, I'm glad I stuck with this show as it did pick back up and really catch my interest. There is a good mixture of military drama and comical relief throughout the series. The lighthearted moments are a refreshing at points where the plot becomes intense and dark.

The animation and artwork is very clean with good use of colour to set the tone and atmosphere of the show. The modern artwork style is lends to a wide array of detail in each of the scenes. The development of the characters is well done, making them relatable. The voiceovers and soundtrack are also well suited in contributing to the atmosphere and tone of the show.

Overall, Pumpkin Scissors was a great show to watch and I would highly recommend it for someone looking to pick up a good military drama. There are scenes with some graphic violence so this may not be the most suitable show for younger audiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment