Archive

February 21, 2011

Ninja Scroll

This movie brings me back. Ninja Scroll was one of the films that introduced me to Japanese anime. In my opinion this was one of the greatest anime films of all time.

The story follows Jubei Kibagami, a wanderer who will take on jobs for gold. He ends up thrust into the middle of a conflict with the Kimon Clan and the government. Through his journey, Jubei ends up working with a government agent to help stop the Kimon Clan from reaching their goals. While doing this, Jubei encounters Genma,  a ghost from the past who he originally thought to be dead. In order to take the life of Genma and put his treachery to rest, he must defeat a number of demonic ninja.

On top of a great story, Ninja Scroll had an amazing soundtrack and excellent art. The soundtrack is primarily traditional feudal Japanese music. I often find myself listening to this soundtrack on a fairly regular basis. Usually when I am working on a project or reading I will have this soundtrack playing in the background. The art used in the film is very appealing to watch as well. The use of color is fairly dark, helping to create a serious tone. The design of the characters is detailed and very creative. I found the cast of characters to be memorable and unique.

I highly recommend this film to any anime fan. This classic will keep you glued to your seat. For those who enjoyed films such as Ghost in the Shell and Akira, Ninja Scroll creates the same kind of tone and atmosphere designed for older anime audiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment