Archive

October 21, 2010

Junk Boy

After having watched so many long series, I needed a bit of a break from the marathoning and decided that I would look for something a little shorter. I ended up randomly choosing from my anime database of over 1400 shows and got Junk Boy. Not really knowing what I was in the mood for, I figured why not try something new. In this case I got a "new" "old" anime. Junk Boy was made back in 1987, which means that it is only a couple of years younger than I am (which makes me feel old now...).

The story of this anime focuses around an aspiring editor named Ryohei who is a sex crazed maniac. He spends all day and night thinking about sex with any woman he can lay his eyes on. The funniest part about his character is that he has no game whatsoever when it comes to women. He is so horny and arrogant that he says and does every selfish and wrong thing you can think of.
Although the show is short, there is a great deal of progression and evolution in Ryohei's character. As he falls in love with a colleague while on assignment cover a story, he begins to realize that his own needs (both sexually and emotionally) are not the only ones of importance. He spends the better part of the show trying to become a more compassionate and considerate person.

I wasn't completely sure what to make of this show as I was watching it. As I have mentioned in previous posts about OVAs, they tend to just start with no real introduction to the characters or the pretense of the story. This one was no different. It took about 20 minutes for me to really wrap my head around what was going on and begin understanding how Ryohei's perverse nature was going to develop the story.
Overall, I was pretty impressed with this anime. I didn't feel my time was wasted. The animation was true to the 80s style character designs and the music was well chosen. The only real criticism that I have of this show is how it began. It all started a little too quickly. This is a mild criticism as the show was well done and I would recommend taking a look at it. Just keep in mind that this one has some nudity and is best suited to mature audiences.
Links below for those who are interested in adding this one to their collection!

2 comments:

  1. You want to feel old, just wait till you have to actually scroll down the list to find the year you were born when doing online forms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA are you trying to make me feel bad. This is my hppy place, don't ruin it for me lol!

    ReplyDelete