Archive

February 24, 2013

Saber Marionette J

It seems like the older I get the harder it is to find time to watch and review anime. While it has been a while since my last post, I've still been plugging away at a few shows in the little free time I have left.

Saber Marionette J is an anime that I had picked up and watched about 8 years ago. While looking for some past anime to review on, this one jumped out at me because of a picture on my screensaver. I was originally drawn to this series because of the artwork. Having been a huge fan of Slayer, the resemblance in the artwork of the two series had a bit of a nostalgia factor for me.

The plot for Saber Marionette J is based around a planet known as Terra II (2), which is very much like Earth, except for one small factor, everyone is male. The population of Terra II reproduces through cloning and is unable to produce any female offspring. The closest thing to women the planet has are lifelike robot dolls known as Marionettes. A young boy, Otaru, finds three Battle Sabers, which have a special "maiden circuit", which causes them to act more human than any of the other sabers. Otaru is faced with the challenge of teaching the three sabers how to grow emotionally while also stopping one of the neighbouring countries from trying to achieve world domination.

One of the challenges that I had with this series was the odd semi-romantic relationship that Otaru seemed to have with the Saber dolls, specifically Lime. This was very reminiscent of the odd relationship we see in Chobits between Hideki and Chii.

Overall, I would recommend taking some time to check out Saber Marionette J. My favourite component of this series is the artwork. I have always been a fan of the mid-90s style anime series so this factor alone made the series enjoyable for me. The concept for the story as a whole was also intriguing and really makes you think about what life would really be like if there was in fact only one gender occupying a planet. There are 4 arcs to this series, Saber Marionette R, J, J Again, and J to X. The whole series is great and worth looking into if you have the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment