Archive

January 11, 2010

Shounen Onmyouji



Its been a while since my last post. I've been getting over a pretty bad cold and thats kinda taken my energry to write. After racking my brain for a couple of days over what series I should look at next I decided that Shounen Onmyouji made for an interesting topic. This series caught my attention while I was trying to kill some time on my lunch break at work. I stumbled across is on Veoh.com and after about 4-5 minutes into the first episode I thought to myself, "this series sounds familiar". To make a long story short, it turns out that I had downloaded this series maybe 2 days prior. Normally I put newer stuff on the back burner and try to catch up on some of my older acquirements. I can say though that I was not disappointed from moving this up the priority list.


Shounen Onmyouji combines a number of elements that give it the feel of some of the mainstream YTV style animes that have slowly grown on me. As you can tell from the red costume in the picture, the kid kinda looks like a young human from of Inuyasha. The storyline follows this young Onmyouji (basically a priest) whose grandfather is the strongest Onmyouji in the land. The grandfather was so strong that he was able to get demon spirits to act as his servants and protect him. It turns out that the kid, Masahiro, also has this gift that makes him stronger than most other Onmyouji. Because of this he befriends this one demon named Guuren who everyone is afarid of. Basically its the whole making friends along your quest scenario. Masahiro also ends up falling for this girl, and for once in a series, the girl likes him back. The whole story revolves around Masahiro trying to protect the land from these alter dimension demons who are a lot stronger and eat people.


I'll admit, the storyline isn't the most appealing thing of the series but it does have some strong points that make it worth watching.

1) Cool spells and fights

2) The 7 Shikigami Spirits have some pretty cool fight scenes

3) None of the mind numbing stupidity between the guys and girls (someone finally hooks up)

4) Animation style


Although we most likely will not see this series come to YTV or any of our other North American broadcasting networks, if you have access to the internet and a creative mind, I"m sure you can get your hands on this 26 episode series. Its not the greatest series to emerge but still well worth the time if you're in for a mild action anime.

No comments:

Post a Comment